Dear BCS Community,
There is an array of topics to write about this week since we have so much going on this time of year. I wanted to make sure to write about something relevant to your daily life, something that caught your attention, and a topic that we could all relate to. I thought about writing how BCS received the Evergreen award this week from the state of Michigan and how this was a true reflection of teamwork. I thought of writing about Cinco de Mayo and the importance of diversity and culture, or about Covington’s movement into the 21st century. Then it occurred to me that there is a group of amazing people we all know that have played a role in these important topics by leading, listening, motivating, organizing, collaborating, and assisting. These people work tirelessly to push BCS to the limit in green initiatives, diversity and culture awareness, and 21st century pedagogy. Each person making up this group has individual strengths and their own identity of greatness. They make up the BCS teaching staff!
This week marks the celebration of National Teachers’ Week. It is a time to reflect on the very people that spend countless hours with our children, preparing them for life’s successes and challenges. It is indeed a time where parents and students can say thank you for all you do. It is also a time when educators are reminded why they are in the teaching business!
A benefit of teacher appreciation week is that the teachers themselves can rediscover why their teaching is appreciated and what kind of teaching is considered fun and informative by the students. Take a few minutes out of your day this week to remind your child’s teachers why they are so important- after all…without our teachers, where would we be?
WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN’T LOOKING
By Mary Rita Schilke Korzan
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you displayed my first report, and I wanted to do another.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you fed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you gave me a sticker, and I knew that little things were special things.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you put your arm around me, and I felt loved.
When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt--but that it’s all right to cry.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you smiled, and it made me want to look that pretty too.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you cared, and I wanted to be everything I could be.
When you thought I wasn’t looking--I looked...and wanted to say thanks for all those things you did when you thought I wasn’t looking.
Take the time to look this week and see the great things our staff is doing!
WEEK AT A GLANCE – MAY 3 – MAY 7, 2010
(Disclaimer: Please check all your calendars and bcsonline.info in case we missed something)
Note a change in submission deadline for this week - To submit an item for next week’s “WAG”, email email@example.com by THURSDAY 7AM
Monday, May 3
• 9:40-10:55AM – Davis’ class to Woodward Hills for reading to senior citizens
• Lunchtimes – students who entered in REFLECTIONS program can get an ice cream treat & a picture taken
• 3: 20 – 4:05PM – Track Practice during choice hour
• 4:00PM–Girls soccer game @ Bloomfield Hills Middle School - Get directions at highschoolsports.net
Tuesday, May 4
• Flower Bouquet Day for Staff Appreciation – students can bring flowers and the PTSA will arrange bouquets for all staff members
• 8-8:20AM – Bagel sale in front of the media center by the 8th grade celebration committee
• 3:15-4:00PM – School store is open in the main hallway during choice hour
• 4:05-5:45PM – Girls soccer practice
• 4:10 – 5:15PM – Track Practice
• 7:00PM - BPS Board of Education meeting at the BPS Administration building, 550 West Merrill Street, Birmingham. Watch it live on Comcast channel 17.
Wednesday, May 5
• PTSA provides lunch for the staff for Staff Appreciation Week
• 9:15AM – 5/6 Room Parent Meeting – Media Center
• 9:40-10:55AM – Burns’ class to Maple Village for reading to senior citizens
• 2:15PM – Filming of the 8th grade student walk-out for the farewell DVD
• Popcorn Day – freshly popped popcorn is sold during choice hour for $1 in the main hallway.
• 3-4:00 PM-Market Day pick-up in the entrance hall.
• 4:00PM – Girls soccer games vs. West Hills Middle School @ HOME
• 4:00PM – Track meet BCS vs. Ferndale Middle School @ Ferndale High School
• 5:30-6:30PM – Proud Dads Golf for 3rd – 8th grade at Lincoln Hills
Thursday, May 6
• PTSA provides a sweet bread to each staff member for Staff Appreciation Week
• 8:15 – 9:30AM – 8th Grade Farewell Celebration Planning Meeting-media center
• 4:05-5:45PM – Girls soccer practice
• 4:10 – 5:15PM – Track Practice
• 7 PM – Friends of Different Learners Meeting – “Friends Appreciation Awards” in the BCS Media Center
Friday, May 7
• 4:00PM – Girls soccer games vs. Country Day Middle School @ HOME
• Lunchtime - Mom’s Eat and Run – Please arrive 5 minutes early to sign-in. Special drawing for each lunch period….mom must be present to win. If you know in advance that you will not be attending, please let your child(ren) know so they are not disappointed.
Lunchtimes: 3/4 - 11:00 – 11:40AM
5/6 – 11:55 - 12:35PM
7/8- 12:35 - 1:15 PM
• 5:30 - Artists, Friends & Family Reception for REFLECTIONS program
Hot Entrée menu for the week: (subject to change, if necessary)
- Available everyday: Salad Bar, Hamburgers, Chicken Patties, Pizza & Cheese Breadsticks
Monday –Breakfast for lunch & fresh fruit
Tuesday –Chicken fajita, brown rice
Wednesday –Sloppy joe, carrots & dip, jello
Thursday – Cheese lasagna roll-ups & chicken sliders, green beans
Friday – Salisbury steak sub or baked potato bar, vegetarian chili
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SUPPORTING THE SPRING BOOK FAIR!!
Once again we would like to extend our appreciation to the BCS community for their strong support of our Spring Book Fair. We made a little over $1,600 in cash, $300 in books and $1,200 in catalog credit for the Media Center. We really do have wonderful families!
We would especially like to thank the many parent volunteers who worked throughout the Fair. We couldn’t have done it without you!!
Linda Weitzel, Shiva Motlagh, Theresa Valentine – Book Fair Chairs
BCS TECH CAFÉ
Join the BCS Technology Committee on Tuesday, May 18, 6:30-8:00 PM in the BCS Media Center.
Join us for an informal open discussion about social networking topics such as:
• How to Facebook?
• How to use Gmail & Google apps?
• How to Twitter?
Please bring your laptop if you have one. You are welcome to sent us a question or topic of interest. email firstname.lastname@example.org
PTSA REFLECTIONS PROGRAM – Treats & Reception
• If your student completed a REFLECTIONS entry, have them stop by the Reflections table after lunch on Monday, May 3 to collect an ice cream treat and get their picture taken! There is no need to dress-up……just be your fabulous
• On Friday, May 7th, an Artists, Friends & Family Reception will be held on at 5:30PM in front of the Media Center. Light desserts and punch will be served.
2010 State Competition
Science Olympiad Results
On Saturday, May 1st, our Middle School Science Olympiad Team competed against the top 49 schools in the state of Michigan. We placed 7th overall and brought home 10 medals! The kids worked hard and had a fantastic time.
The following students took home medals:
• Bio – Process Lab – Natalie Kozak & Lillian Lu
• Ecology – Aaron Levett & Lillian Lu
• Compute This – Aaron Levett & Lillian Lu
• Meteorology – Shounak Vale & Adam Smith
• Ornithology – Nitin Kumar & Bogdan Manga
• Road Scholar – Bogdan Manga & Adam Smith
• Anatomy – Bassel Salka & Noah Smith
• Helicopter Duration – Chandler Roberts & Bryce Owens
• Solar System – Hannah Diehl & Aaron Levett
• Dynamic Planet – Hannah Diehl & Will Trask
The following students had an outstanding performance in their event:
• Can’t Judge a Powder – Chandler Roberts &Will Trask
• Trajectory – Bogdan Manga & Bryce Owens
• Physical Science Lab – Maria Roma & Bassel Salka
• Wright Stuff – Lillian Lu & Hannah Diehl
• Science Crime Busters - Nitin Kumar & Shounak Vale
• Experimental Design – Natalie Kozak, Maria Roma & Bassel Salka
• Pentathlon – Aaron Levett, Bryce Owens, Graham Ross & Noah Smith